Group Training Schedule
Below is a complete list of group classes that are currently enrolling. If there is one of our group classes you are looking for but do not see listed please contact us for info on when that class will be enrolling next. All group classes are held at Play and Stay Dog Lounge in Ottawa unless otherwise noted. To enroll in a group class please call Play and Stay at 815-313-9477.
Did you know socialization is A LOT more than just having your puppy play with other dogs and people? It is also the BEST way to prevent unwanted behaviors in the future, but there is a right way and a wrong way to socialize. Done properly your puppy can be well on the way to living a social life. Our socials are designed to help prevent the most common unwanted behaviors before they start as well as helping with common puppy raising issues like potty training and nipping.
Supervised by certified professional trainers to ensure your puppy plays in a safe, supported environment. Socialization is key for physical, emotional and cognitive development. Puppy Socials have limited space and registration is required. You can enroll in as many socials as you would like as long as your puppy meets the requirements. Payment is due in full at your first social.
Growing Up Social Puppy social classes are held monthly. Each class is 2 socials. The cost per month is $30. Enrollment for the month must be done before the first social that month.
To enroll puppies must be between 8-20 weeks old. Puppies must be up to date with age appropriate vaccinations (series does not need to be completed but must be started and kept current) and have a negative fecal exam/been dewormed by a professional vet. Proof of up to date medical is required before the day of the social. Puppy Socials are held at Progress Park Vet in Peru. To enroll please call them at 815-224-2858, Space is limited, advanced enrollment required.
Socials are held Thursday nights at 6pm. Please email email@example.com or call Progress Park Vet at 815-224-2858 for upcoming dates.
- To get the full benefits of this socialization class, tasks should be worked on daily at home.
In Person Group Classes-
- Puppy Manners- AKC S.T.A.R Puppy Prep and Socialization
- No Puppy Manners scheduled at this time due to availability. We recommend puppies enroll in our puppy socialization class and The Basics Group class to get a similar experience. We are still able to test for AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy at the end of the 6 week Basics class.
- Puppy Manners is a puppy socialization class that also works on the skills needed to pass the AKC S.T.A.R Puppy test at the end of the class. This age appropriate class covers a large variety of socialization skills to PREVENT unwanted behaviors before they happen. Teaching your puppy the acceptable behaviors we like to see in our human world now can save you time and money later. It’s much easier to teach what we want now than to try to undo the unwanted behaviors and habits our puppies pick up on their own.
- In addition to socialization skills we cover the obedience skills needed to pass the AKC S.TA.R. Puppy evaluation. Testing for the AKC S.T.A.R Puppy Evaluation is completed on the last night of class and included in the price of the class.
- Puppies should be between 8-24 weeks at the start of this class. Puppies must be dog and people friendly and up to date with vaccinations/negative fecal test. Cost is $125 which includes the testing fee to test for AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy at the end of the class. Bundle with our Basics and Beyond two part series for $325 ($50 savings over buying each class separate.) Includes Puppy Manners, AKC S.T.A.R Puppy test, The Basics class, Beyond the Basics class, AKC CGC Testing at the end of the two part Basics and Beyond class series.
Basics and Beyond Two Level Class series– We are happy to announce the Basics and Beyond series is back!! Join us for level 1- The Basics and Level 2- Beyond the Basics!
Basic Obedience, Intermediate Obedience, and Canine Good Citizen Prep all in two part series!!! AKC S.T.A.R. Puppy and AKC CGC Testing available at the end of class
- The Basics (Level one in the Basics and Beyond Series)
- Begins Monday January 9th at 6pm
- Beyond the Basics (Level Two of the Basics and Beyond Series)
- Begins Monday January 9th at 7pm
- Cost for the Basics and Beyond series is $225 and this includes Both 6 week classes and all of the bonuses. * Classes can be purchased individually for $125 each, coupon bonuses are not included with individually purchased classes.
- The Basics and Beyond Series is a two class series, level 1-The Basics and level 2- Beyond the Basics. We highly recommend completing the entire series for the best training results, however it is not required. Level 1 The Basics introduces the common obedience and manners skills every dog should know to be successful in our human world. Level 2, Beyond the Basics, takes what was taught in level 1 and applies them to real world situations. In level 2 we teach you how to be successful with your new skills around distractions, how to add duration to your skills, and also how to add distance to your skills. We also work on the AKC Canine Good Citizen evaluation skills and offer testing at the end of level 2 for those that wish to test. The price of testing is included in the class price.
These classes are designed for you to have fun with your dog and enjoy training outside the regular obedience and manners.
Fun With Tricks and Acting: Earn a Trick Title with Do More With Your Dog or with AKC. Tricks of all levels are taught and no prior trick training is needed. Tricks are fantastic for dogs that have lots of energy or need to work on confidence building. Earn any level trick title (Novice- Expert) in this class.
Fun With Tricks and Acting also allows you to earn your Animal Actor titles. These new titles with Do More With Your Dog are designed to give your dog the skills needed for professional jobs such as photo shoots, commercials, movies/television, and plays. Dogs MUST be comfortable with strangers handling them and being very close to other unknown dogs. Since these titles are geared at developing skills for professional work dogs need to be able to work with actors and set trainers as well as other animal actors. If your dog is not comfortable with either of these please contact us for training to get comfortable before enrolling. Cost is $99 for this 5 week class plus the cost of the titles. Title fees do vary depending on type.
Next Fun with Tricks and Acting will be in winter 2023
This class is held at different public locations in the Peru/Ottawa area and designed to work on skills around natural public distractions. Class is held on most Saturdays, time and location varies. Class participants are notified weekly where class will be held. All participants must have completed The Basics with Discover Pet Training.
*Open Enrollment for your scheduling convenience
To Enroll Please email Discover Pet Training at firstname.lastname@example.org
*Please note we do limit the size of the class for safety reasons and to ensure each dog gets enough time with our trainer. Therefore periodically enrollment for this class may close. All dogs that enroll must complete obedience training prior to enrolling so they have a basic understanding of the skills worked on with the distractions. If you have completed obedience training at another facility or have a dog that has the basics down already we will require proof of skills (they don’t have to be perfect) to enroll.
AKC Canine Good Citizen and Trick Dog Testing
If you are interested in setting up a private test please contact us. We test for all levels of CGC and Trick Dog.
S.T.A.R. Puppy test night: email email@example.com to reserve your time
CGC Test night: email firstname.lastname@example.org to reserve your time
* This is just test night, if interested in testing please contact us to reserve your spot. Anyone ready to test for CGC can reserve a spot no matter if you trained with Discover Pet Training or not. You must reserve a test time to test prior to test night to be eligible to test the day of testing. Test time spots do tend to fill up quickly so we recommend signing up right away instead of waiting until it’s the week of the test. If you wish to test for CGCA or CGCU please contact us to set up a test time. The higher levels are tested by appointment only.
*We try our best to keep this page updated with how many spots are available in a class, however sometimes a class will fill up before we are able to update.